Shun Hiro SG2 Series
Combines striking beauty with peerless performance. In Japanese, the name Hiro is known as “abundant,” “generous” and “prosperous.” The Hiro cutting core is made of SG2 micro-carbide steel. This ultra-fine-grained steel is incredibly hard and dense, enabling Shun to make thinner blades that can be sharpened to a razor-like 16° cutting angle. At the same time, SG2 offers unmatched edge retention, so it’s superb for kitchen use. Due to this combination of performance and durability, SG2 is considered by many to be the world’s best blade steel for use in kitchen knives. In 150 handcrafted steps, every curve has been meticulously smoothed and rounded, from spine to heel, while each cutting edge has been precisely sharpened to make every cutting task a pleasure. True to its Eastern heritage, the Shun Hiro’s handle follows straight off the blade for a grip Asian-style knife enthusiasts prefer. Made of premium charcoal-colored PakkaWood with deep crimson striations, the handle is also adorned with an inlaid brass-and-steel Samurai family crest mosaic and a mirror-polished nickel silver bolster and end cap. Handcrafted in Seki, Japan.
6.5-inch Carving Fork
9.5-inch Slicing Knife.
The Shun Hiro SG2 Slicing Knife can make food look delicious by enabling you to cut thin, even slices. With the knife’s longer length, narrower blade and Shun-sharp edge you can make long, even slices without tearing or sawing. This kind of clean cut keeps more of the meat juices and flavor inside the meat, rather than pooling on the cutting board. Cut slices with a single, long stroke as the narrow profile and razor-sharp Shun edge allows the blade to glide through meat with less friction so each slice is perfect. Ideal for slicing a wide variety of meats and larger vegetables.
- Set includes: Shun Hiro SG2 6.5-inch Carving Fork & Shun Hiro SG2 9.5-inch Slicing Knife
- SG2 Japanese steel cutting core and clad with 32 layers of a Damascus nickel and stainless pattern on each side for a total of 65 layers of metal
- 64° Rockwell Hardness for the ultimate in edge retention; hand-sharpened Japanese double-bevel blade angle 16° (each side)
- Ambidextrous handles are made of dark charcoal PakkaWood with deep crimson striations and an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest and nickel silver bolster and embossed end cap; Hammered (“tsuchime”) finish adds to the knife’s dramatic looks and helps food release from blade
- SG2’s extremely dense grain structure and purity enable it to take and hold an exquisitely fine edge with unparalleled durability; even more so than VG-MAX or VG-10; Handcrafted in Seki, Japan